Summer Research Program
ReMatch Summer Undergraduate Research Program (R-SURP)
R-SURP aims to create a diverse community of undergraduate and graduate student researchers from across the University. The program seeks to generate a more inclusive pipeline towards scholarly research and to address, over time, the underrepresentation of certain groups in academic research communities.
For freshman and sophomore mentees, the program provides an opportunity to carry out a paid graduate-mentored research project over the summer.
For graduate participants, the program offers an opportunity to mentor an undergraduate student through a summer research internship.
In addition, the program runs a series of weekly workshops called the Summer Research Colloquium (SRC). The SRC joins graduate students and undergraduates in an advising relationship. Undergraduates receive research feedback and guidance. Graduate students hone teaching and advising skills, and develop relationships with undergraduate mentees based on shared academic interests.
Specifically, the Summer Research Colloquium:
- Facilitates and models productive mentor-mentee / adviser-advisee relationships.
- Provides a primer on discipline-specific research methods and approaches.
- Guides undergraduates in reading scholarly texts and conducting original research.
- Facilitates the development of peer-to-peer workshops for the Freshman Scholars Institute.
- Introduces graduate students to best practices in advising undergraduate independent work and research.
- Provides graduate students with teaching experience in anticipation of the academic job market.
The program runs for nine weeks, from June 12 to August 11, 2017. Participants are expected to be on-campus Monday - Friday, through the end of the program. **Importantly, students appointed in FSI supporting roles through the remainder of August may petition for an earlier end date.
- All enrolled Princeton freshmen and sophomores who have participated in at least one ReMatch event this academic year are eligible to apply.
- All enrolled post-generals ReMatch graduate mentors who have participated in at least one program event this academic year are eligible to apply (exceptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis).
The R-SURP applications for summer 2017 will be available in GPS starting Wednesday, January 18, 2017. Undergraduate-graduate pairings will design their own research project, with the support and endorsement of a faculty adviser. The program application consists of three parts:
Part 1: Undergraduate mentee application, due Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:59 pm. The application includes a program questionnaire, college transcript, resume or CV, research expense request, statement of interest, and statement of commitment to a diverse research community.
Part 2: Graduate mentor application and due Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:59 pm. The application includes a program questionnaire, college transcript, resume or CV, and statement of commitment to a diverse research community
Part 3: Faculty adviser review and approval of mentee and mentor applications, due Monday, Mar 6, 2017.
Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Stipend and other program support
- R-SURP undergraduate participants receive full room and board as well as a $50 weekly stipend (must constitute a full-time commitment of at least 35 hours/week).
- R-SURP graduate participants will receive a $500 stipend supplement.
- Research pairs will receive a research allowance (up to $500) to cover expenses such as small equipment and parts, consumable supplies, software, copying costs, books/journals when not available through the University, and travel for data acquisition or field experiments.
- Upon completion of the project, pairs will be eligible to apply for travel funds to attend a research conference and present their work.
Undergraduate participants will live as a community in the on-campus research village.
Important R-SURP dates
- Mentee and mentor applications open in GPS: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017
- Application workshop for mentors and mentees: Tuesday, Feb 14 2017, 4 - 5:30 pm, Frist 330
- Mentee and mentor application deadline: Monday, Feb 27 2017, 11:59 pm EST
- Deadline for mentor review of mentee applications in GPS: Thursday, Mar 2 2017, 11:59 pm EST
- Faculty adviser review and approval deadline: Monday, Mar 6, 2017, 11:59 pm EST
- Funding decisions announced: Week of Mar 20, 2017
- Summer program: Jun 12 – Aug 11, 2017
- Research summary statement and program survey deadline: Sept 12, 2017
- Participation in program outreach panel: Fall 2017
Selection process and awards
R-SURP applications will be carefully evaluated based on the merit and feasibility of the proposed research project, relevance to the student’s academic course of study, commitment to a diverse research community, and strength of the faculty adviser letter of support. Selections will be announced during the week of March 20, 2017.