Office of Undergraduate Research Student Initiated Internship Program
Office of Undergraduate Research Student Initiated Internship Program (OURSIP)
OURSIP provides a limited number of grants to Princeton freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who have independently created or secured an unpaid faculty-mentored research internship over the summer. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis to support research experiences that complement the student’s academic interest. OURSIP participants receive a stipend intended to offset the cost of room and board as well as modest internship-related expenses (ex. small equipment and parts, consumable supplies, software, copying costs, and books/journals when not available through the University). Proposed internships must be full-time (not less than 35 hours per week) and for a minimum of eight (8) contiguous weeks to be considered for funding.
While priority is given to on-campus projects, a limited number of off-campus (domestic only) projects will also be considered. No project will be funded without a strong letter of commitment from the faculty adviser.
The on-campus program runs for nine weeks, from June 12 to August 11, 2017. Participants are expected to be on-campus Monday - Friday, through the end of the program and attend the Summer Research Colloquium (SRC) weekly workshops. The SRC is designed to facilitate and model productive mentor-mentee / adviser-advisee relationships, provide a primer on discipline-specific research methods and approaches, and guide participants in reading scholarly texts and conducting original research.
Important OURSIP dates
- Application opens in SAFE: Thursday, Feb 2, 2017
- Priority application deadline: Monday, Feb 27 2017, 11:55 pm EST
- Final application deadline: Monday, Apr 3 2017, 11:55 pm EST
- Faculty / research adviser commitment form deadline: Must be completed prior to funding approval
- Decision period: Feb 27 - Apr 7, 2017
- On campus summer program: Jun 12 – Aug 11, 2017
- Research summary statement and program survey deadline: Sept 12, 2017
- Participation in program outreach panel: Fall 2017
Eligibility and application process
All enrolled Princeton freshmen, sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply. Students must maintain active enrollment at Princeton from the time of their application through the conclusion of the program, which is the following fall.
Interested students should complete and submit the OURSIP funding application in SAFE. The SAFE application includes a program questionnaire, itemized budget, Princeton transcript (unofficial copy via TigerHub OK), and resume or CV. In addition, applicants should request their faculty adviser to email a completed Faculty / Research Adviser Commitment Form to email@example.com by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only one OURSIP application per student will be considered per year.
The priority application deadline is 11:55 pm, Monday, Feb 27, 2017. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the final application deadline (Apr 3, 2017) or until available funds are depleted (whichever occurs earlier).
Selection process and award
OURSIP applications will be carefully evaluated based on the merit and feasibility of the proposed research project, relevance to the student’s academic course of study, and strength of the faculty adviser letter of commitment.
- Prepare research internship summary
- Complete final program survey
- Acknowledge the Office of Undergraduate Research support in any report, publication, or testimonial provided to any University department/program or outside entity that makes reference to this summer research internship project.