Undergraduate Fund for Academic Conferences (UFAC)
The Office of Undergraduate Research established the Undergraduate Fund for Academic Conferences in 2012 to enable more undergraduate students to participate in academic conferences and workshops related to their independent work or other research activities. Priority is given to those who seek to present their research or scholarship in the form of a paper, talk, or poster. Approximately 15 awards are distributed annually ranging from $500 - $750 per award.
This funding opportunity is available to all currently enrolled undergraduates. Students are eligible to one award per academic year (for example, from September 2014 through end of August 2015).
How to Apply and When
You can apply by logging onto the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE) and searching for the Undergraduate Fund for Academic Conferences listed under the "Independent Projects" activity type. While applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, they must be completed at least one month before the beginning of the conference in order to receive full consideration. Applications for retroactive funding will not be considered. The online application will require that you provide:
- The name of the faculty adviser who will serve as recommender for this funding application. (Before submitting their name, please confirm that they are agreeable to completing the online form in support of your application and can speak to your academic qualifications as well as how your participation in the conference pertains to your research and/or independent work.) No project will be funded without a strong faculty endorsement.
- A detailed itemized budget
- An electronic copy of your accepted abstract (if applicable)
- A project statement (<200 words) describing how your participation in the conference will impact your course of study and/or independent work at Princeton. The statement should also include the conference title, location (city, state), start and end dates, and your role in the conference (attendee or presenter). Please indicate whether you have applied for and/or secured other sources of funding for this conference.
- Your planned itinerary
- Any special qualifications that have prepared you to participate in the conference
Funding may be used only for the following expenses and does not cover costs of personal items, entertainment, or social activities:
- Conference registration fees
- Travel to the conference
- Lodging and meals
Tax Implications and Award Conditions
Awards are considered taxable income with varying implications for Domestic and International status. Please consider your award’s potential tax implications and consult with the Office of Finance and Treasury (link is external) if you have questions.
As with all University sponsored overnight travel outside of the greater New York City/Philadelphia area, funding is contingent on safe traveling conditions in the region and on registering your trip information in the travel registration platform Concur at least one week prior to travel. Please be aware that the award will be revoked if you do not receive approval for your trip in Concur before you travel.
In accepting this award, the recipient is expected to recognize the source of this funding in the acknowledgement section of their poster and/or talk and in any subsequent publications that may result from this project. The student is also expected to fulfill all of the post-project requirements described below as well as requirements listed in the SAFE application's Terms and Conditions section.
Within a week of returning from the conference, the student must complete the following post-project requirements by accessing the "Complete My Project" page in SAFE, linked from the student's "Current Projects" page:
- Upload a summary (< 200 words) of contributions at the conference and explanation of how the experience has impacted the student's course of study and/or independent work at Princeton.
- Upload a copy of the accepted conference abstract or presentation (as applicable)
- Complete the itemized list of actual expenses and upload receipts in support of budget
To contact the Office of Undergraduate Research regarding UFAC, please send your email enquiries to email@example.com (link sends e-mail).