Senior Thesis Research Funds - Summer 2017
To all A.B. Juniors,
The spring application for summer 2017 senior thesis research funds (STRF) available through the Office of the Dean of the College (ODOC) is now open in the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE). Please read through this memo carefully, review the sample STRF application for all requirements and conditions, take advantage of the workshops offered in support of this application (see below), and speak with your adviser about your envisioned summer research plans. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the funding process. Questions pertaining specifically to SAFE should be directed to email@example.com.
Application Information for ODOC STRF: Summer 2017
Eligibility: All rising seniors from A.B. departments are eligible to apply for ODOC STRF. Students must comply with all SAFE processes in order to be eligible for funds.
- Friday, March 3, 12:00 am: ODOC STRF application opens in SAFE.
- Thursday, March 30, 11:59 pm: ODOC STRF application deadline (other funding sources may have earlier deadlines)*
- Last week of April: ODOC funding award decisions announced
* Students applying for ODOC funds are required to apply for all departmental and programmatic funds for which they are eligible in one single application. Applications must be completed by the earliest deadline, as no changes will be accepted once applications are submitted and locked, except for the selection of additional funding opportunities when eligible.
Application Materials and Process:
The application will ask for a full account of your research proposal, a detailed budget, a planned itinerary, and an evaluation from the faculty member who will act as your adviser. If you are planning to apply for funds, now is the time to speak with your adviser about your application—do not leave it until the last minute! No project will be funded without a strong faculty endorsement. You will be able to save your application in SAFE and go back to it, but you must complete and submit the application by the earliest deadline of all the funding sources to which you are applying (see above).
Budget Preparation and Justification:
Please take care to develop a thorough, accurate, and reasonable budget and justify your estimated costs in your project statement. The Office of Undergraduate Research website provides a summary of allowable expenses that I encourage you to consult when building your budget.
Proposal Support offered to all A.B. members of the Class of 2018:
· Proposal Writing Workshop – Wednesday, March 9, 2017, 5:00 pm in Writing Center, G001 Hargadon Hall: Come learn strategies for preparing a persuasive funding proposal. Sign up here for Proposal Writing Workshop.
· One-on-One SAFE Information Sessions– Friday’s, March 3- March 30, 2017, 10:00 am -11:00 am at 36 University Place, Suite 340: Meet with Crystal Arrington, Program Coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate Research, and ask your questions related to the SAFE application process, available funding opportunities, and required application materials. Sign up on the WASS calendar for an appointment.
· One-on-One Proposal Conferences at the Writing Center: Schedule an appointment here and add a note that you’re bringing in a proposal draft, you’ll be set to go.
· Other workshops in support of independent work are posted on the Princeton Undergraduate Research Calendar (PURC).
At the earliest deadline of the opportunities to which you are applying, the faculty member you have listed as your adviser will be asked to review your online application and answer evaluative questions about your proposal. Your application and your adviser’s evaluation will then be reviewed by your departmental representative, who will electronically submit a departmental evaluation. ODOC funds will not be assigned until all other awards have been made. The amount of funding you will receive is dependent primarily upon the following considerations:
- The quality of your proposal as evaluated by your adviser and departmental representative
- The feasibility of your budget
- The number and quality of requests for funding made by the Class of 2018
Future Funding Opportunities:
It is understood that not all students will be prepared to begin their thesis research over the summer. There will be two other rounds of ODOC thesis funding available to you in the fall; as a member of the Class of 2018 you are eligible for each of these rounds of funding. Having received a summer award does not preclude you from fall and winter eligibility, but in order to be considered for further funding it is expected that you have completed your post-project requirements in full on SAFE, and returned any unspent funds to the Office of Undergraduate Research at Suite 340, 36 University Place by the due date of Tuesday, September 12, 2017.