Amgen Scholars Program
The University of Tokyo (UTokyo) will provide hands-on laboratory experience to undergraduate students through the Amgen Scholars Program 2016. [This Program is made possible by Amgen Foundation as in 2015.]
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and planning to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks (from June 14 to August 10, 2016) of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Opportunities for research experience will be provided by 32 research laboratories in 5 of the graduate schools and research institutes of UTokyo (Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Institute of Industrial Science) where the students will be able to gain valuable hands-on experience in research.
Additionally, there will be opportunities for the students to take part in tours and guidance about the University, and other events organized to maximize their experience as Amgen Scholars at UTokyo. Each Amgen Scholar will receive a stipend to cover their return travel and living expenses, including accommodation, during the program.
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must:
- Be undergraduate students enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide (including Japan) that award a bachelor¹s degree (or its equivalent)
- Be undergraduate students enrolled in four-year colleges or universities who are sophomores in their second year (with four quarters or three semesters of college experience), juniors in their third year, or non-graduating seniors in their fourth year (who are returning in the fall to complete their first undergraduate/bachelor¹s degree or its equivalent)*
- Have a strong record of academic performance
- Have a high level of English proficiency: as demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 79, IELTS overall band score of 6.0, if not a native English Speaker or if English is not your first language
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
* Please note that undergraduate students enrolled in colleges or universities with a three-year bachelor degree program must have completed at least two semesters of their studies prior to participating in the Program.
The application for the program is now open online and will close at 3:00 PM on February 1, 2016 (Japan Standard Time).
To learn more about the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program, please visit http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/amgen2016.html, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail at email@example.com